Saturday, January 8, 2011

I) WORDS AND EXPRESSIONS
01. turn 30
(completar 30 anos)
I'll turn 30 next March 20th.
02. I'm on my way
(estou indo)
You just wait for me, please! I'm on my way!
03. all you can eat
(rodízio)
All-you-can eat steak houses are very common in Brazil.
04. think on one's feet
(ter jogo de cintura)
She really thinks on her feet.
05. birthday girl (boy)
(aniversariante)
She's today's birthday girl.

II) SLANGS
01. hook up
(ficar)
She's hooking up with a guy said to be a hunk.
02. be toast
(estar ferrado)
One more mistake like that and you're toast.
03. car-sitter
(flanelinha)
There are lots of car-sitters downtown.
04. cheesy
(cafona)
She's got a cheesy taste for clothes.
05. it's not my scene
(não é minha praia)
Speaking before an audience is not my scene.

III) GRAMMAR

- LIKE - LOVE - HATE - PREFER

After these verbs we can use to (infinitive) or ing (gerund)

01. I like to watch costume movies. or I like watching costume movies.

02. I love to go to the mall. or I love going to the mall.

03. I hate to eat in a hurry. or I hate eating in a hurry.

04. I prefer to eat cheese pizza. or I prefer eating cheese pizza.

IV) NEWS

Police in Brazil have arrested(1) a television reporter accused of passing on(2) police information to a criminal gang, in exchange for tip-offs(3) on the murders(4) they were about to commit.

Maritania Forlin, 28, was arrested after police recorded(5) phone calls between her and the man accused of being the gang leader.

In one of the calls she complained(6) to the man about the lack(7) of recent homicides to report.

(1) prendeu

(2) passar algo adiante

(3) informações secretas

(4) assassinatos

(5) gravou

(6) queixou-se

(7) falta

Source: BBCNEWS,Jan 7th,2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment