Saturday, March 13, 2010

CONVERSATIONAL STRUCTURES

WORDS WITH 'OVER'
01. OVERDO
exaggerate
I frequently overdo the walking.
02. OVERWORK
work too hard
I have overworked lately.
03. OVERSLEEP
sleep longer than you intended
I just can't oversleep on weekdays.
04. OVERCOME
succeed in dealing with or controlling a problem
He had to overcome injury to win the Olympic Gold medal.
SOME VERBS ARE ALWAYS FOLLOWED BY GERUND (ING)
finish
imagine
avoid
I usually finish working around 5:00p.m.
Can you imagine winning that much money on the lottery?!?!
I avoid driving in the rush hour.
HOW TO BEGIN AN E-MAIL
01. business e-mail
Dear Sir
Dear Madam
02. business e-mail when the writer is personally acquainted with the person receiving the letter
Dear Mr. Ford
Dear Mrs. Palin
Dear Miss Anniston
HOW TO CLOSE AN E-MAIL
01. business e-mail in general
Yours faithfully
02. business e-mail when something a little more friendly is required
Yours truly
Yours very truly
PARTICLES AND PREPOSITIONS AFTER 'BE'
01. BE ABOUT TO
be on the point of doing something
He was about to have dinner when his friends popped up.
02. BE OVER
be finished
Class is not over, yet!
03. BE IN
be at home
My mom isn't in at the moment!
04. BE OUT
be away from home
My dad is out at the moment!
INFORMAL GREETINGS
01. How are you doing?
02. How is it going?
03. Long time no see!
SAYING GOOD-BYE
01. Take care!
02. See you later!
03. Good-bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment