CONVERSATIONAL STRUCTURES
01. A verb has the gerund form (ing) when it comes after a preposition (in-on-at-of-with-without-after-before).
She left the table without eating anything.
He's good at playing chess.
02. After the verbs 'like, 'love' and 'hate' we can use TO or ING.
I like to get up early. ////// I like getting up early.
I love to meet people. ///// I love meeting people.
He hates to fly. //////////// He hates flying.
03. IT SUCKS !
It's used to say that something is very bad.
Their new CD sucks!
04. IT ROCKS !
It's used to say that something is very good.
Her new movie rocks!
05. In a gym
push-up
sit-up
pump iron
treadmill
exercise bike
06. Differences between American English and British English
crosswalk.................................pedestrian crossing
movie house.............................cinema
parking lot................................car park
trash can...................................dustbin
zip code.....................................postcode
Q-tip..........................................cotton bud
07. Sayings
- It comes with the territory
I have a lot of problems at work every day. It comes with the territory.
- A stitch in time saves nine
Why don''t you take your laptop to the meeting ? Sometimes the number of participants outnumbers the laptops the company has available. Don't forget that a stitch in time saves nine.
08. Some verbs are ALWAYS followed by ING:
finish
imagine
avoid
I usually finish workING at 6:00 p.m.
Imagine winnING that much money on the lottery.
I avoid drivING in the rush hour.
No comments:
Post a Comment